Wednesday, June 16, 2010

CSA share for today and The Summer Fun Run 1 mile/5K

Today is our CSA pick up so I tried to clean out my fridge. :) as I said I tried. Our CSA shares are so abundant I just cannot get to everything before the coming week. This is where the dehydrator comes in...I like to dry whatever I cannot use.
With some of the leftovers I made some long grain brown rice with celery, onion and shelled peas and a stir fry..with portabellas and all the veggies that needed to go...green onions, swiss chard, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, zuchinni and shelled peas. I added some Bragg's Liquid Amino's, fresh grated ginger and a gourmet sesame seed seasoning.
Yesterday, I made some tabouli click here for other variations on this recipe

Tabouli

1 large bunch of parsley~chopped/minced~I use the stems and all
1 c. cooked or soaked quinoa
1 pint basket of cherry tomatoes halved
1 cucumber diced
1 large green onion~chopped
2 lemons juiced
1/4 c. olive oil
1 t. cumin
2 T. dried peppermint
black pepper


CSA SHARE TODAY~

Broccoli
Kohlrabi
enormous head of Cabbage
2 lbs of shell pea
small bag of sugar snap peas
bunch of Swiss Chard
bag of mustard greens
bag of mixed salad greens
large bunch of parsley
2 yellow squash
2 summer squash
spearmint
peppermint
garlic scapes
celery cuttings
lemon balm
basil
they had small heads of lettuce as extra's but I got there late today and they were all gone


Oh my goodness...will you look at all those yummy green things. We are blessed indeed!
Last week my kohlrabi was purple, so this week I choose a green one. I have heard that the purple is a bit sweeter. I will let you know what I think when I peel the one I got today. I like to peel mine and cut it in french fry sticks and eat them raw....as is. They are part of the cabbage family nd have a very mild flavor, similar to a broccoli stem or cabbage heart and are very crunchy. 1 c. of raw Kohlrabi has 140% vitamin C, 3% calcium, 3% Iron, and 1% Vitamin A, 2% protein, 5 gms of fiber. If you have never tried it, I dare you. It looks weird but it taste great.

Wednesday's are also our day to walk/run in the Parks and Recreation Summer Fun Run 1 mile/5K. My daughter and I are participating again this year. The Parks and Recreation of the county we live in began this fun event last year. Each week they hold it at a different park. It is free and open to everyone. They have mapped out a 1 mile and a 5K. You just sign in each week. Last year if you attended 7 out of 9 of the walk/runs you received a free Tech shirt. At the final event I won a $50 gift card to the Athlete's Foot Locker. They do not time you, so you just check in and go! It was a good and hot run today and we are looking forward to next week.

Today's eats~
a.m. smoothie
1 pint of Green Juice

Rice and Stir Fry veggies (al dente)

kohrabi, cukes, yellow bell peppers

2 slices of gluten free bread with Earthbound (no soy) spread, cinnamon and powdered stevia

before the run~
black bean soup over Kale and Swiss Chard Salad
1 mini clif bar

after the run~
kohrabi/cukes
Tabouli drizzled with Annie's Goddess Dressing
organic corn chips

BLACK BEAN SOUP

pre-soaked black beans and cooked them in a pressure cooker
with dried onion flakes, garlic
After pressure cooking the beans I added:
wakame (sea vegetable), seitenbacher veggie broth powder, 1 c. of shredded carrots and simmered them for awhile and then placed them in the crock pot on keep warm

I made the soup yesterday~so before going to bed tonight I added the leftover veggie stir fry to the beans for tomorrow. I like doing this to extend my soups and to change it up a bit.



CardioX today and I did the 5K at about 14min/mile...I want to run, but my knees won't co-operate. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...