Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Barley Mint Superfood Breakfast Pudding and Red Lentil Soup

After my morning devotions and a.m. smoothie I hit the kitchen..put on a batch of organic garbanzo's for salad toppings and a batch of hummus...made some red lentil soup and my Barley mint Breakfast pudding.

Barley Mint Breakfast Pudding

In the Vita-mix or blender process until creamy:
1 small banana with about
2 c. of
mango
strawberries
blackberries
1 heaping teaspoon of Just Barley Powder by Pure Planet
1 T. Manitoba Hemp Seeds
Blend and top with minced spearmint leaves or dried mint.
You may want to place it in the fridge to make it good and cold, if you are serving it to your children. This will allow the flavors to meld a bit more, especially if you are using dried mint leaves.



This is a super breakfast! The fruit is full of antioxidants and vitamins, etc.. The hemp seeds are full of protein and omega 3 & 6's. Just Barley is one of my all time favorites. It is 100% organic and it is dried at low temperatures..below 80degrees so as to maintain the enzyme integrity. It has no fillers, binders or anything but Barley Juice Extract. It has a very pleasant taste and sometimes I just eat it off the spoon! The 80gram jar has 80 servings, so it is very cost effective. When you don't have time to juice or just want to detox or alkalize your body...drink Barley Juice!!!


RED LENTIL SOUP~this will fill a big crock pot

3 C. of red lentils
2 sweet valdalia onions~chopped (I use my Vita-mix) you can also use dried
1 T. real salt
8-12 c. water (start out with 8c. and add to desired consistency)
8 cloves of garlic~minced or use powdered
4 c. of diced tomatoes or use canned
1 carrot shredded
1 stalk of celery diced
6 T. Seitenbacher Vegetable Broth seasoning
1 strip of Wakame or sea veggie of your choice
1 C. of brown rice pasta (optional)
2 leaves of Swiss Chard chopped

I place everything but the pasta and Swiss Chard in a stockpot and bring it to a boil then lower heat to medium for 30 mins. Then add the pasta and cook until al dente. I then place the soup in my crock pot on keep warm add the chopped Swiss Chard and it is ready whenever we are.
Serve this with a green salad.



This is a hearty soup that will usually last us for about 3 days of lunch or dinners. It is chock full of goodness. Protein from the lentils, vitamins and minerals from the veggies and usable iodine from the sea vegetable. I will generally add wakame to my soups because I can hid it's appreance from my children easily, especially if I add other greens to the pot. You may also use flakes or wait to add the sea veggie flakes at the table. My favorite is dulse granules...these granules can be sprinkled on just about anything..even fruit salad...I love them! Dulse is my favorite sea vegetable. I get mine from Canada, it is sun dried and delicious....thanks goes to my daughter's new father in law who is a Canadian who turned me on to his source!!!



Remember to be active today if you are able. Get your body moving..even if it is only housecleaning...do it vigorously..strive to add more exercise to your life. Our bodies were made to move and to work..they will function better if we make exercise a daily discipline in our lives.
I'm off to do my Yoga practice...for strength and flexibilitystretching and flexibility are good...it reduces your risk of injury...

1 comment:

  1. Insanity is enough moving, right? ;)

    Sounds like a nutrition filled menu. We must have felt like crud in comparison to the energy that comes with eating so much wonderful, nutrient-rich food. Yeah for good food and movement!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...