Friday, April 2, 2010

Raw Cheesecake..and victory for my Husband! 31 lbs. weight loss!

Today was my husband's weigh in at work. He weighed in at 199 lbs. for a total loss of 31 lbs. He achieved this by eating a High Raw Vegan Diet.(with just a couple of incidents of seafood and chicken at our daughter's wwedding reception) I have chonicled some of his eating choices in earlier post. He began his journey back in mid-January. He feels so much better and is committed to this way of eating. He may not stay 100% Vegan...but pretty close.
So for this victory of staying with it I wanted to surprise him with a raw version of one of his favorite desserts.

So here is where I landed~

Just Like Cheesecake
By Emily Lee Angell ("The Complete Book of Raw Food")

Makes: 24 slivers

For the Crust:
2 cups raw macadamia nuts
1/2 cup dates, pitted (medjools)
1/4 cup dried coconut

For the Cheese:
3 cups chopped cashews, soaked for at least 1 hour
3/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt (optional)

For the Raspberry Sauce:
1 bag frozen raspberries (or use whatever berries you prefer)
1/2 cup dates

To make the crust, process the macadamia nuts and dates in the food processor. Sprinkle dried coconut onto the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch spring form pan. Press crust onto the coconut. This will prevent it from sticking.

To make the cheese, blend the cashews, lemon, honey, gently warmed coconut oil (do not use microwave), vanilla, sea salt (if using), and 1/2 cup water. Blend until smooth and adjust to taste.

Pour the mixture onto the crust. Remove air bubbles by tapping the pan on a table.

Place in the freezer until firm. Remove the whole cake from the pan while frozen and place on a serving platter. Defrost in the refrigerator.

Serve with Raspberry Sauce.

This book is worth the price!! So many wonderful recipes! over 400 recipes and 486 pages. This is one of my favorite recipe books.

Check out Sunny's Raw Kitchen for pictures and tips on preparing this treat! This recipe is from Sunny's site.

I modified mine a bit..
I used raw almonds in the crust
and a little less coconut..just because I didn't have it available.

I used the leftover cheesecake filling to make
Cheesecake Pudding for my children and me. I also made one extra so I can enjoy it with my husband as he celebrates his weight loss and his committment to his new lifestyle of eating a High Raw Diet

I placed the filling in Sundae dishes and topped it with Cacao sauce~
cacao, agave, maple syrup, vanilla & water to thin

Today~
a.m. smoothie~raw cacao almond milk, banana, chia, cacao nibs, organic decaf coffee

pineapple and kiwi

Blended salad~romaine, celery, tomato, tahini, Bragg's liquid Aminos, Lemon, shredded dulse

after my 40 workout with Tony Horton I drank a 16oz glass of

master cleanse lemonade~instant stuff I had on hand

Cheesecake Pudding~above

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...