Saturday, September 5, 2009

My hubby's 20lb weight loss and my moment to be real

For the past six weeks my husband has been eating watermelon and grapes in abundance for breakfast everyday. Then for lunch most days he has eaten scrambled eggs and one slice of toast. I pack his evening meal to take to work. He takes more watermelon and grapes, some bananas, one sandwich cut in two and some days a small bag of chips. More recently he has opted out of taking a sandwich and wanted a bag of cashews. There has been one or two days of variations, depending on the fruit I had on hand. Over all this has been his diet. This is a drastic change from his greasy, sugary vending machine, fast food fare. My hubby has now lost over 20 pounds by eliminating sugar and making some simple dietary changes. (although he has eaten something sugary on three different occassions, during special events).
Snicker bars and snack cakes used to be part of his daily diet, so this is a BIG change. He says he no longer craves his sugary treats.

My husband has always believed in my healthy living practices, even though he did not desire to join me wholeheartedly. He has shared with others whatever he has learned from me or has picked up from other healthy living resources. He has encouraged many people to change some of their eating habits. He has taken his green smoothies to work and of course everyone wants to know about the green stuff he is drinking..this has created an open door to share his knowledge. I know of at least one person who started drinking them because of this.

Where am I going with this? This is a lifestyle. But to make it a lifestyle it takes time. My husband likes to say he is in transition. He has been in transition for quite some time. That is okay, you don't usually change your lifestyle overnight. Changing the way you eat is Hard, ask most people. I didn't just get where I am overnight and I haven't arrived or graduated into perfection. That comes when I am dead. Thanks be to God. I am just striving to glorify God in my body, and that means that I take care of this temple He resides in so that I can be effective for Him. He has given me life and a body to live in. I do not want to destroy it because I choose to ignore what my habits are doing to it. For years I did not really consider how my eating habits were impacting my life....physically, mentally or spiritually. Therefore I suffered in many ways. Now I see a clearer picture of the connection of diet and lifestyle and its impact on all of these areas. I choose life today, a life of vibrant, healthy living so I can be involved in it... and not be set aside or put on the shelf because I feel too bad to actively be a part of it.

I'd like to encourage you to begin making healthier choices by adding more raw fruits and veggies into your diet. Go ahead begin the transition. It doesn't matter how long it takes, it just matters that you begin.

Today's menu~


16oz green lemonade

3 oz wheatgrass with water from young coconut (my husband and I split the water from one coconut)

afternoon~Chocolate/coconut shake

evening~ Bok Choy salad

snack~2 very ripe bananas sliced and sprinkled with raw cacao powder, raw blue agave & a few walnut pieces. mix and eat

My kids and I watched a couple of sitcoms~those old habits of munching on something die pretty hard and that bag of chips that the kids like to eat are sometimes difficult to keep my hands off....so I indulged....but I've got to say...greasy..greasy feeling all over my mouth and teeth...I want to be free from this. I had some kombucha ginger tea so that will help with my digestion. I am human and it is okay..I am okay that I did this and I won't beat myself up for it because I know that for the most part I am eating a good healthy diet...but I am also hopeful that I can make a better choice next time. I do know that if that junk isn't there I won't eat it. So maybe someday it won't be there, maybe all of my family will want to be on this train and maybe they won't. Time will reveal what it will and I'll be blogging about it, Lord willing. Until next time~try to make healthy choices and when you don't just keep striving to do better. :)



Chocolate shake~

meat from one coconut

1/4 c. raw cacao powder

1 t vanilla

stevia

ice cubes



I had about 10 oz and two of my family memberers had about 16oz each



Dinner~



Bok Choy Salad



1 head of bok choy

3 bell pepper~mixed colors

handful of mixed greens

shred all of this in food processor

Dressing

1 mango

1 tomato

1/2 bunch cilantro

1 celery stalk

juice of one lime


pour over salad mix and enjoy!

Green Lemonade




GREEN LEMONADE

4 bunches of celery
5 lemons
1 bunch of beet greens
1 cuke
1 beet
1 finger of ginger
stevia

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...