Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Collard Wraps and Mango Cilantro Soup, Strawberry/Cashew Green Smoothie

This was our centerpiece for today's munchies.
What's on your table? 
 If you stay home and have children I encourage you to make a veg/fruit tray and have it on the table.  Better yet, have your young ones help make it. 
Children love to be involved in what you are doing....make it fun and don't get fussy when they make a mess.  You and your children will grow together and cherish the memories always.
Whenever I spill something on the floor, I laugh and say....I guess it was time to mop the floor!
Always remember...Relationships are more important than things....whether it be broken items or messy kitchens...


COLLARD WRAPS
collard greens
avocado
tomato
carrots
lime juice

I used Annie's Goddess Dressing as the dip

MANGO CILANTRO SOUP
2 roma tomatos
4 stalks of celery
2 handfuls of spinach
small handful of cilantro
1/2" jalapeno
lime juice
handful of frozen mango
water to help blend
Blend in Vita-mix on #3 until soup-y

My son and I gobbled this down after running errands this afternoon.

STRAWBERRY CASHEW GREEN SMOOTHIE
1 c. fresh almond milk
1 banana
large handful of spinach
large handful of frozen strawberries
1 heaping t. beet root powder
about heaping 1/4 c. of raw cashews
blend well...this will hold you for a few hours....


Today was my major produce pick up for the month...I miss my van on this day each month.  I am part of a co-op where we buy organic produce from our local distributor.  We get great prices purchasing this way.  We have several families that participate with us.  We have to purchase produce by the case, so we share cases or purchase them whole.  When you buy this way it is imperative that you have the necessary refrigeration space.  I find that if I carefully bag most of my items they stay good for some time.  Most fruits keep well in cold storage.
Although it is best to get your produce as fresh as possible...this works for our family. I still  buy other items during the month, but this is the bulk of what we use.
We live outside of the city in a rural area so frequent trips to the grocer is not feasible for our family.
Some of the items we received today were:
Avocados
Granny Smith Apples
Bananas
Blood Oranges
Red Beets
Broccoli
Carrots
Caulilower
Celery
Cucumbers
Kale
Romaine
Spinach
Gourmet Lettuce
Roma Tomatoes

What's in your fridge?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...