Friday, March 2, 2012

My Favorite Asian Salad & Pesto

Spring is just around the corner here in the mid-west.  We've had some pretty good storms today that cleaned up the air and passed quickly .  Now the sun is shining brightly and it invites me outside to play.  My daffodils in the front yard are ready to burst open at the first sign of warmth.  I love this time of year.  
Our CSA farmer is gearing up to plant and some items are  ready in the greenhouse.  I am looking forward to our first informational meeting because our farmer always brings some wonderful leafy greens along for sale.
While I am waiting for the harvest I am still partaking of lots of produce and I hope you have made plants the center of your diet too!
A nutrient rich  plant focused style of eating gives us a supercharged immune system , increased longevity and prevents diet related illnesses and disease conditions.

Today my son's request was my Asian Salad which is one of our family's favorites.
It is pictured above.

ASIAN SALAD
one serving
1/4 of a cabbage shredded
1/2 red bell pepper diced
1-2 stalks of celery diced
4 baby carrots cut into matchsticks
1 avocado cut in cubes
1/4 c. of soaked & drained almonds cut into pieces
1 heaping T. of raw cashew pieces
Annie's Asian Salad Dressing or make your own.
Mix together & Enjoy!

This is my mid afternoon meal
RAW PESTO WITH YELLOW SQUASH

1 small yellow squash spiralized
1 spring onion chopped
1/4 of a red bell pepper diced
cherry tomatoes

set these ingredients aside and make the pesto
PESTO
1/4 c. of raw pine nuts
1 garlic clove
1/4 of a red bell pepper
dried basil (I prefer fresh but I did not have any) to taste
I placed all of my ingredients for the pesto in my Magic Bullet and blended them to a smooth consistency.

Pour pesto over noodles and top with veggies and a sprinkle of dulse granules


This is my daughter's salad.  I found this on my memory card while downloading my pictures.  Taking pictures of our food must run in the family.  lol
Salad above consists of romaine lettuce, bell peppers, tomatoes, celery, sunflower seeds and goddess dressing. She also had a Spicy Akzuki Bean Burger from Hilary's.  These burgers are very yummy and they are not too spicy.  The do have more sodium than I prefer, but now and then it is okay as long as we are eating primarily home prepared meals without adding salt.  


Here is the ingredient list for the burger:

INGREDIENTS

Water, organic whole millet, organic adzuki beans, organic whole quinoa, expeller-pressed coconut oil, organic sweet potato, organic onion, mild green chilies, organic psyllium seed husk powder, organic arrowroot, Real Salt®, organic apple cider vinegar, organic garlic, organic cumin, sunflower seed oil, organic chipotle powder, organic chili powder, organic lime juice. CONTAINS: COCONUT.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...