Friday, March 16, 2012

Juicing and Carrot Cake, Banana Bread and Eggplant Bacon

My daughter and I are juicing again.  We like to cleanse periodically by juicing for a few days and then continue cleansing by drinking smoothies.  We usually do not set a time limit on our cleanse. We listen to our bodies and come off the cleanse when we need to.
Today I made a gallon of green juice and a gallon of carrot, apple, romaine ginger juice.
My Green Juice consisted of:
celery
baby swiss chard...our first taste of the CSA this year!
parsley
romaine
fennel
cucumber
ginger
lemon
liquid stevia to sweeten
This is what I store my juice in.

After juicing I thought I'd use some of the pulp to make a carrot cake for the hubs and if there is any left after our liquid fast we may get to partake.
This is one of the most delicious raw cake recipes I have ever made.  Compliments of RawDawg Rory.
You can watch his video of how to make it here.

Carrot Cake ~ Rawdawg Rory's recipe


This batch is for either 1 layer or a small cake! For an approx 2″ high by 8″ round cake, go ahead and repeat this recipe! 

1+1/2 cups of almonds 
1 cup of rough chopped carrot
1 cup of dates
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
pinch of sea salt



Place the almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in your food processor and grind until you’ve turned them into “flour”. Remove to a bowl. Put your carrots into the processor and grind down finely. Now here’s a tweak option, you can use the carrots as is to make an extremely moist cake or you can place them in cheese cloth or a juice bag and wring them out a bit.. I left mine juicy.

Mix the carrots and flour together in a mixing bowl and divide in half . Place half the carrot/flour mix into the processor and grind with half of the dates, repeat with the leftover ingredients, this step may seem tedious, but it’s to make sure the dates are finley ground down and the finished cake well combined. Now gently press the mix into a greased 8″ spring form pan and allow to set in the fridge for 30 minutes while you make the frosting..

Orange Vanilla Creamy Frosting ~

1+ 1/2 cups of cashews, soaked for an hour to soften (you can sub macadamia nuts if you like
1/2 cup of dates, pitted
juice of 2 oranges
3/4 tsp of the fresh orange peel
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract (or a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla bean seeds)
pinch of sea salt

Blend everything until smooth and creamy in your blender. If using a standard blender, you can soak the dates in the o.j. before blending to soften them up.

 

       What to do with Almond Pulp???
My family drinks almond milk every few days so we always have almond pulp leftover.  Most of the time I just place it in a glass jar, then stick it in the freezer~adding to it until it is filled.  When I have several jars, I thaw them out and place the pulp into the dehydrator and dry it, then blend it in my Vita-Mix and I have almond flour.  Sometimes I thaw the almond pulp and make almond cheese ....But Kristen's got a great recipe that I will be using , and playing with in the days to come.....
        Kristen's Raw~Cinnamon Banana Bread Squares
Kristen's recipe is sooo simple and these squares are so yummy!  Next time I will be making a couple of batches.  I added broken raw pecan pieces to mine before dehydrating. You can follow the link above for Kristen's recipe.  You could also layer 2-4 circles of this bread and make a cashew frosting  for each layer to have a nice layered cake!!!  I had my cashews ready to do this, and when I was pushing my plunger into the Vita-Mix I pushed too hard and shaved off the bottom of the plunger....therefore I had plastic shavings in my frosting....oh well...next time..

Thanks Kristen for the great recipe!!
 

FAKIN MAPLE BACON
2 eggplants sliced on mandolin

Blend the following ingreds in blender and pour over eggplant to marinate for an hour or two
3/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
2 T. raw agave
2T. pure maple syrup (optional)
Black pepper to taste
spread  eggplant on teflex sheets dehydrate @ 105 degrees until crispy
 
I will not be eating of this yummy food during my liquid cleanse....but it will be waiting for me when we are finished.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...